Pages

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Nighttime Parenting and a flurry of posts on the first day

When I fill up a journal and have to start a new one, I always get a little nervous, because, I mean, what if my hand-writing on the first entry is sloppy and then I would be plagued by a sloppy beginning every time I opened the journal for the duration of it's use. How miserable. Sometimes I just skip the first page altogether (that's a little wimpy, isn't it?), but nevertheless I want to begin well, and when it comes to a new blog, I don't want to leave my inaugural post to shiver in the cold by itself. So, I'm working on getting enough of a start for all to keep cozy and warm together. : )

I mentioned earlier that I didn't sleep much last night. (I think that might be an understatement.) Which brings me to the enormous controversy over nighttime parenting. I know. I never imagined how passionate (vicious?) people can be on this subject.  In mine and Emery's family alone, we have both staunch opposition to co-sleeping and those who have kept their children in the family bed for years. For me, it's entirely worth it not to broach the subject in conversation. I believe each family will figure out what works best for them, even if what works best isn't exactly working at the moment. That's where I am. That's why we got very little sleep last night. Maybe it's teething, maybe it's a whole number of things, but maybe (assuredly!) Hattie will sleep and sleep well when she's 8 or 10.....and I'd  like to say by then I'll be getting great sleep every night, but hopefully Hattie will have a few more siblings that might keep me up. And you know what? It's so worth it! So worth it.

I look at little Hattie and am amazed daily by her curiosity and strength and laughter (and her willingness to have curry with us!). It blows me away to think of how our culture views children as a burden; they are truly our greatest blessing,  I'm not sure I knew joy until I had a child and felt my heart full to overflowing for that helpless infant. I know few things for certain, but I know: 1) the bible is always right, 2) children are an heritage of the Lord - just like it says.


1 comment:

  1. I know it's hard to remember that it's worth it at 2 AM or as you're dragging through the next day, but you're right! (Not that I speak from experience, just the promises of the LORD.)

    ReplyDelete