Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

More on cloth diapers and general 'crunchiness'

A few months before Hattie was born, I got into research mode. The more I learned, the more I realized I was in fact: crunchy. Cloth diapers, delayed vaccinations, baby-wearing, breastfeeding, home birthing, and at one time I may have been known to make green smoothies (which Emery politely sipped, but was more than happy to leave the majority for me).
It was a little funny for me to come to this realization because I do not consider myself at all hippie, because when I think of crunchy people, I think of hippies.....nor do I even consider myself very 'green'. I like the earth and all, and I feel like we should be good stewards of it, but my choice to buy cloth diapers was not about me trying to save the it. It was about the chemicals in disposables that I wasn't sure if I wanted my baby exposed to, and it was about being economic. I bought cloth nursing pads too because I thought we could save a little dough that way. I found out, however, that I am not one of those women who can use cloth nursing pads effectively; it didn't mattered if I doubled or tripled up on those things, I was going to soak through them, and probably still would, even almost 11 months into our breastfeeding journey.
Anyway, as I continued to learn more about these subjects, I found my decisions based upon what is the healthiest for our family. I feel like a lot of our standard ideas about child-rearing (from society's point of view) are blindly accepted as best, when I'm just not so sure they are. Vaccines, for example,
 I know they save lives, but they're also loaded with heavy metals and toxins, and I shudder to think of such being injected into a newborn. And if you give birth to your baby in your home, think of how many less germs you're exposing the child to than if he/she were in the hospital where MRSA (staph) and VRE are rampant. I chose home-birth because I didn't want to be pressured into doing something  simply because of protocol rather than medical need. Birth is natural and pregnancy isn't a disease, and it shouldn't be treated as such.
Every woman and couple has to make the decisions about what's best for their family. I'm not trying to judge anyone or start up 'mommy-wars'. For us, if our choices label us (mostly) crunchy - then so be it, and if you're doing what you feel is best for your family, then I applaud you.

Hattie and our hydrangea


***I also want to note that we pursue health/natural living in moderation. I think health, like getting organized, can become an idol, and while these things are important, they aren't the most important. We don't eat much organic food, we don't soak our grains (Nourishing Traditions), and don't spend all our time (and money) just trying to be healthy. We want to serve the LORD to the best of our ability (including with our resources), and we want to be fit enough to do the work He has called us to. For me, that involves managing our home and chasing Hattie around to keep her from getting into too much trouble, and keeping Emery healthy with plenty of Gluten Free food on the table.***

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE this post! I couldn't agree with you more about trying to live a healthy/natural life, but focusing on serving the LORD first. As I see it, taking care of our bodies and family the best we know how is one way to show thanks to God for blessing us with the miracle of life.

    I first heard the term "crunchy" just recently and it cracks me up every time. I'm learning that I can also be labeled as "crunchy." And I kind of like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a new cloth diaper store in Memphis! Check out www.overthemoondiapers.com!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks! We've actually moved from Memphis a few months ago, but maybe if we have time on our next visit (and if I'm back in CD again --the washing maching has been broken for months, and I'm not feeling the washing cloth diapers by hand thing --) maybe we can check it out. : )

      Delete