Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Ms. Gert's favorite quiche

Three years ago (before Emery came along), I moved to Maryland to work in an assisted living. My pastor was part owner of the facility, and within a few months he installed me as the evening cook purely based on the merits of my being southern and Primitive Baptist. For him, those two points were enough evidence that I could cook, but uhhh lets just say there was definitely a learning curve. I had never cooked for 20 people, nor had I cooked on an even regular basis, but he had confidence that I could do it, so I jumped in with both feet.
Around the time I started taking the suppers, Brother Steve made Ms. Gert the official breakfast/lunch cook. Ms. Gert and I worked great together. She did the grocery shopping; I made the menus (though, we rarely managed to stick to them), and we became great friends. She had grown daughters at the time, and I was 19, but we were kindred spirits, and I still smile to think of her.
She liked to call me 'Lizzie' and she loved my quiche.
It's a flexible recipe and easy peasy.

"Easy Quiche" - crustless

2cups milk
4eggs
3/4cup biscuit mix (I use Pamela's pancake mix, GF)
1/4cup butter, softened
1cup Parmesan cheese
1 (10oz) package frozen broccoli (fresh or frozen spinach is yummy too)
1 cup chopped ham (optional, Emery really likes it with ham)
8oz shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to  375 F. Grease a 10'' quiche dish - or a 13x9, if you go heavy on the meat/veggies.
Beat in a large bowl eggs, milk, biscuit mix, butter, and Parmesan cheese. Stir in ham and broccoli and cheddar cheese. Pour into dish and bake 50minutes or until golden brown and eggs are set.


I made this for dinner last night, and we all enjoyed it, even Hattie. : )

3 comments:

  1. sounds delicious! I'm writing it down to try! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is good...anything with that much Parmesan cheese can't help but be good ; )

      Delete
  2. Sounds yummy! I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete