Pages

Monday, March 26, 2012

Shelby Farms, Memphis, Cloth Diapers, Steve Jobs

--You might be wondering what all those things have in common, and the answer is nothing at all. --

Since we moved to Memphis, I have frequently been asked if we've been to Shelby Farms. Everyone raves over it. Now I know why. Shelby Farms is HUGE, and for a population of city-dwellers, it feels like you're getting out in the boondocks, but you've only driven 10-15 minutes to get there. 4300ish acres of ponds, bike trails, bison pasture, shooting range, etc etc etc. It's big and beautiful.
We took a little picnic up there Saturday and enjoyed exploring the park. They recently built a fancy new playground, but we didn't even venture to join the masses and try to play on it. No, we stuck to the old-school one across the pond....it even had a jungle-gym like the ones I played on in elementary school. : )
Emery. Hattie, and I had a sweet time just spending the day together.

Memphis is beautiful in the spring. I love riding around and seeing the pretty homes with their manicured lawns all a-bloom. I'm glad Emery likes to drive, because I sure enjoy looking out the window.

This afternoon on our walk, my friend Stephanie and I were discussing cloth diapers. The pros and cons and how much we used them. Our conversation has inspired me to get mine out again and throw 'em on the baby. I kept saying I would start again once the weather was warm enough for me not to have put pants on over them (bulky!), and it's surely spring now, and I haven't any excuse. I'm not sure if I'll fall in love with them all over again or be completely under-whelmed. Either way, so long as Hattie IS diapered, I'm sure I'll manage.

On a completely different note, I've been reading Steve Jobs' biography. I don't think we would have been friends - had our paths ever crossed, that is. He was pretty manic, or at least he was in the 80s - which is as far as I've gotten. He was quite the visionary, though, and certainly changed the personal computer industry. So kudos for that.

2 comments:

  1. Kudos to your renewed cloth diaper efforts!
    I have enjoyed reading your blog and love the title!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allison! What style of cloth diapers do y'all use?

      Delete