Pages

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

To market, to market to buy a fresh (pig?)

We all know about the *ritzy* grocery stores. The ones that may or may not charge you $5 for a dozen eggs (because perhaps the laying hens were fed from silver feeding troughs?) The ones that sell all organic, gluten free, cage-free, eco-farmed, natural foods.
Today, I managed to visit not one, but TWO such stores. And I never cease to be amazed at how much they feel they need to charge me for their goods; I'm surprised they don't charge admission for the ambiance (you know, the smell of foreign cheese and essential oils).
However, aside from the exorbitant prices, I really don't have a problem with these types of stores. I mean, we enjoy eating healthy, and I appreciate having a source for GF specialty foods....but if you're going to have a health foods store, PLEASE have the sense to occupy a large enough space! Because really, I don't want to get run over by 14 people (who may or may not believe in deodorant) while trying to get to the next aisle.

I think the commotion at the health foods store somewhat embodies the 'rat race'. Everyone is rushing to get the next healthier thing that might make them a) live longer b) feel better c) fit in with their friends or d) all of the above....but everyone is so busy trying to achieve their goal, that no one is able to slow down and enjoy the trip to the market.

Maybe it's me, maybe it's because I didn't want to have an encounter with the spider in my car, and we haven't been out much this week, maybe I'm old fashioned, but if I'm going to go on an outing, I want to enjoy it. Even if it is to the grocery store.

No comments:

Post a Comment