Pages

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Dirty Laundry

"Laundry is like infinity" --Mark Jones

Hi. My name is Elizabeth. I'm nearly 23 years old, and for the first time in my life, I washed an entire load of laundry (albeit a small-ish one) by hand.
No, I'm not trying my hand at homesteading. Yes, I like electricity and washing machines.

Our washer is just broken, and I was runny very low on clean shirts, and Emery has the car at work, and we probably don't have enough quarters lying around to feed a laundry-mat machine.  So Hattie and I rolled up our sleeves and set to washing. Mostly Hattie helped by beating the side of the tub, and she only almost fell in once.

Y'all, we have it so easy. We all complain about the mountains of laundry that always need washing, but you know, that all you have to do is throw it in the machine and let it do its work for an hour or so and then throw the load in the dryer. That time while the loads are washing is free and easy for you to do other chores, but by hand...oh no no. It took me probably the whole hour to get everything washed and wrung out. And I still have several loads to go, but Hattie was understandably loosing patience with the whole ordeal. Little does she know that we'll be back at it this afternoon!

I'm not complaining. I don't think I'm above washing clothes by hand. But I sure am thankful for my washing machine when it's working!!





5 comments:

  1. I had to wash some laundry by hand last summer when our washer broke. It was quite therapeutic, actually. I was thankful I didn't have to do more than one load, but I didn't hate the task.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Lydia. I didn't mind the actual washing part too much, it was just the ringing them out that was tiring. My second load was larger and heavier, and my hands got kind of chafed from ringing and ringing and ringing all the water out.

      Delete
  2. Kiddo
    Even if the water is truned off, you can load wet stuff in the washer and run the spin cycle instead of hand ringing every piece.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's true. I guess I tend to think of the old washer as an all or nothing machine. It would have saved me some trouble if I'd thought of that a few hours ago. But talk about an arm workout. : )

      Delete
  3. How did the load turn out?? Were the clothes nice and fresh and even better after they were hand squeezed?

    ReplyDelete