Pages

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Theme nights.

I've tried menu planning. 4-week rotating, seasonal menus...but it just doesn't work for me. There isn't enough creative lee-way built in, which results in me NEVER sticking to it and thus voiding all the hard work I did in putting it together.

To give myself a little more room, I have back-up theme nights. It used to be what I did every night without question, but even that was a little constricting for yours truly, so now when I can't think of anything to make, then I just remember that it's "Fish Tuesday", and we have fish.

My themes:
  • Mexican Monday - tacos, quesadillas, nachos, taco salad, carne asada, huevos rancheros (my newest favorite) etc.
  • Fish Tuesday - salmon cakes, fish fillets (salmon, tilapia, grouper etc)...and that's about it in that department, let me know if you have some good fish recipes, that aren't TOO fishy.
  • Pasta/Hamburger Wednesday - kind of speaks for itself, since Wednesdays are busier with church and all.
  • Soup/Salad Thursday - seasonal. Summer Salads. Winter Soups, usually. 
  • Pizza Friday - homemade most of the time, but we like Little Ceasar's $5 pizzas too. (Emery scrapes the toppings off the crust since it isn't GF, although I hear Domino's has just come out with a GF crust. It isn't made in a dedicated kitchen, so if you're very sensitive, I wouldn't go that route.)


1 comment:

  1. I like your idea of theme nights! I just recently switched from monthly meal planning to weekly meal planning, and I find I stick to it much better. I've thought about doing theme nights, but I think I would get bored. Perhaps I should do like you and just have that as backup!

    ReplyDelete