Pages

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Das Protein Bars

We live in the South. Everybody thinks they can speak a little Spanish. El Cheapo. El road-o. uno, dos tres, etc etc etc. I don't count myself the exception because I've been just as guilty of butchering that beautiful language.
BUT in the Sayre household, we have graduated. To German. Ever since Volkswagon came out out with that commercial with the slogan being"Das Auto", we've been throwing Das around like it was going out of style, and adding a throaty German accent to make it authentic. Thus, das protein bars.

These protein bars are not my original creation. You can find original over at Passionate Homemaking, but as most recipes that come into my kitchen, I've tweaked it a little.

  • 2cups almonds
  • 1/4 cup sunflower seeds (or flax, chia, or pumpkin)
  • 1/2 cup dried fruit
  • 1/2 cup shredded coconut
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter (if using unsalted peanut butter and sunflower seeds, you might want to add in 1/2 tsp sea salt)
  • 1/2 cup butter (or coconut oil)
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 2-3tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup chocolate morsels
First off, put your butter in a small pot on the stove and melt over low heat. While that's melting, you can tend to the rest of it. If you have a food processor, this will be extra easy....I don't have a food processor, but I do have a little chopper. So in my chopper, I put the almonds and sunflower seeds.  Hattie held on for dear life while I was whirring the nuts because she's terribly afraid of the chopper (and blender, and vacuum). Throw your ground nuts into a medium sized bowl, and then put your dried fruit and shredded coconut into the chopper. For my most recent batch, I used prunes with 'orange essence', and I think the orange and the chocolate go beautifully together, yum. I've also used dried cranberries, raisin, and craisins with good success, but not quite as yummy as the orange-prunes. Chop up the coconut and fruit and add to your bowl with the nuts. Now your butter is probably melted, so go ahead and add your peanut butter to the pan let that get melty too. You don't have to melt the peanut butter, but it's a lot easier to mix in if you do. Take it off the heat and stir in the honey and vanilla, and then add that to the nut and fruit mixture. Stir until well incorporated and press into an 8x8 pan. Melt your chocolate morsels over low heat, and spread over fruit/nut mix. Make sure you smooth the chocolate over the whole pan and into the corners. Cover and chill before serving and store in the fridge. These also work great if you cut them into bars and wrap in foil individually and keep them in the freezer for on-the-go snacks.

I realize that looks like a crazy lot of directs for these little protein bars, but the quick and easy version is this:
 Grind up the hard stuff.
Melt the soft stuff/add liquids.
Stir up.
Press into pan.
Cover with Chocolate.

Easy Peasy.


Hattie has found herself a happy little cubby-hole to play in...in the bottom of our china cabinet. I didn't want her to at first, and tried to keep it blocked off, but she looks so stinking cute playing in there, what's a mama to do?

This morning, about 4am, I started thinking about the possibility of going to Camp. Camp Moriah, that is. It's a little overwhelming, and I'm not exactly sure what Emery thinks about us going (he'd have to stay here and work), but it's exciting too. I haven't been in three years. Since before we were married. It's such a powerful, wonderful, tiring week, but I've never done it with a baby in tow. Maybe we could only stay a couple of days...but it would be worth it, I think. Spiritual rejuvenation, fellowship with dear friends, and Hattie love love LOVES children, I think she would have a ball, in spite of the heat and dirt. So pray for us to have wisdom and discernment, if you think of it, of whether we should try to go or not.

Oh, and our meeting is this weekend! Elder Bradley will be with us Thursday night, Friday night, Saturday morning and afternoon, and Sunday morning. I think this marks his 54th year of coming to our church to preach this meeting. Isn't that neat?

Happy Wednesday y'all!

2 comments:

  1. Hope you all have a good meeting. Wish I could see you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be wonderful to see y'all at camp!

    ReplyDelete