Pages

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Motherhood

Motherhood. I could never have imagined I would love it this much.

When I was a senior in high-school, we read the novel, The Awakening. I don't recommend it really, but what struck me about it at the time was the definition of the 'mother-women'.
It was easy to know them, fluttering about with extended, protecting wings when any harm, real or imaginary, threatened their precious brood. They were women who idolized their children, worshiped their husbands, and esteemed it a holy privilege to efface themselves as individuals and grow wings as ministering angels.
That quotation now seems to me to mock a woman who enjoys motherhood, and I don't doubt that was the intent. And it makes me rather mad.

But back then, it didn't seem as mocking, it just made me wonder whether I was a mother-woman. I was afraid the answer was no. I didn't love to hold other people's babies, or at least I didn't battle my aunts and cousins for the privilege. They seemed to need to hold every wee one that came around, but I didn't have that driving urge.  Other people's children were kind of annoying and burdensome, and I just didn't know if I could ever be a mother-woman.

When my sister-in-law, Karla, told me she was expecting their first child, I was elated. I was also sobered at the thought of the HIGH calling of motherhood. To train a child in the nurture and admonition of the LORD, to teach him/her all the things that must be taught, to love and sacrifice for. It was a humbling thing for me to even think about.

The years rolled along (as they always do), and here I am with my wonderful husband and darling 13 month old daughter, and I love everyday with them. We're a house full of sinner, don't get me wrong, and we've all got our shortcomings that need purging, but the gift of motherhood. It is sweet indeed.

I don't have a doubt anymore whether I am a mother-woman.

Being a wife and mother has been the most delightful joy of my life.

Only God could design the family, like He has, and make it so wonderful. Thank you, LORD!

1 comment:

  1. Well said, Elizabeth! We wives and mothers are certainly blessed by our LORD, especially when we are able to stay home with our children. May the LORD continue to bless your family.

    ReplyDelete