Pages

Monday, August 13, 2012

Disney movies.

**WARNING** if you love Disney movies to pieces to might not want to read any further. I might offend you.


When we were in Kentucky the other weekend, Emery's mother was generous enough to give us some of her old VHS tapes for which she doesn't have a player anymore. Now our van IS fully equipped with a VCR, but we'd only dug out one VHS - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - to watch on trips. It's a 13 hr drive from here to Kentucky. Hattie was a doll the way up, and only the last hour was rough, so we turned on the movie. The ride home was a different story, and we tried our best to quiet her with BOTH 101 Dalmatians and The Lion King.

When I was six years old, I had a "101 Dalmatians" bedroom. Bedspread, curtains, wall stickers - the works, plus a sweater and stuffed dog. Surprisingly enough, I don't remember watching the movie all that much, but I'm sure I must have to drive my parents to such extremes as doing the whole bedroom in that theme.
In spite of it being a part of my childhood, I was kind of shocked to watch it again. Cruella was terrifying - though I did remember that much - but there was so much name-calling and general evilness. I didn't like it at all, and we won't be watching it again.

I remembered much more of the Lion King, and it wasn't as offensive....but I'm not sure it earns the ranks of 'family friendly'.
We've got a few other Disney movies we'll give a try, but so many of the characters are disobedient to their parents and rebellious, and these traits end up being glorified at the end of the day, and that's not the message I want my daughter learning. We might watch these films once, but if they don't align with our family's values, they won't be viewed a second time.

Interesting isn't it how healthy family units are NEVER portrayed; how the children rule the homes, how the father characters are made to act like fools. Do we wonder where our nation is headed when these are messages we feed our children?

No comments:

Post a Comment