Pages

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Lessons from the Experimental Kitchen

The old adage that you learn something new everyday has proven correct once again.

Today I learned that Hattie is tall enough to press the panic button on our van when the keys are in the door. I learned that my neighbor's mailbox can be hit twice in four days. And I learned that you can successfully substitute zucchini for banana in a banana bread recipe.

I had been searching and searching the internet for a very simple zucchini bread recipe this afternoon, to no avail. They were all so complicated and called for entirely too many flours, none of which I had on hand (almond meal, garbanzo bean, sorghum, millet, etc. etc. etc.) In fact, I only had rice flour and tapioca starch, and they were just going to have to do. I finally went back to my trusty cook-book to thumb through the quick bread recipes one last time. Enter Banana bread recipe (rice flour based).  Zucchini and banana are both pretty moist, maybe I could just add one in place of the other and add the appropriate spices and bada-bing-bada-boom, zucchini bread. So I did. I added a touch more sugar since bananas are sweeter than their vegetable counterpart. And know what?
It turned out Great. Like, "I can't even tell this is gluten free" good.

Hattie and I may have eaten half the loaf before Emery even got home from work.


No comments:

Post a Comment