Pages

Monday, October 22, 2012

Baby Talk

18 weeks today! Funny how 18 sounds sooo much closer to 20 than 17 does....and 20 weeks marks halfway! :) Yay and thank you LORD! If you missed yesterday's post, we're expecting a little girl. Emery and I are happily settled on her name (which will remain a secret). Our girls will be born almost in the same season -there's not much difference between March and May when you live in the south, just the pollen count -- so we're all set on clothes, and I think the only thing we'll need now is diapers. :)

I'm thankful to say that Hattie is fever-free so far this morning. Last night, Emery mentioned that she has only been sick twice (apart from thrush and allergies) in her whole life, which have both been this month and coincides with our weaning. This has been a sobering and somewhat sad thought for me. Up to this point, I could nourish her with powerful antibodies and help her fight whatever germs may have beset her, but now we've taken a step towards independence. Now, she has to fight her germs all by herself. I know she's strong and healthy, but that doesn't keep me from wishing I could protect her from illnesses a while longer. I'm glad she had 17ish months of nursing, and while there were plenty of frustrating times, I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Have any of you been watching Call the Midwives on PBS? I heard about the show about a month before it aired, and I was really looking forward to watching it, but I've been kind of disappointed. It's a very 'heavy' show to me, which could certainly stand a good bit more comic relief to balance with the multitude of tense moments. And even though the births they show are all home births, they are managed in such a way that it communicates a lot of fear...and I don't think fear has to be associated with birth. If you can trust in your Creator who made your body to give birth to children, and you can trust that He will give you the strength to endure until the glorious end, then you don't have to fear. {That's not to say that you need to take unnecessary risks or refuse any medical help if needed, but make informed choices and trust in the Lord.}
Birth can be peaceful. I've experienced it that way, and it's wonderful.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing to think we're almost half-way done! March 23 seems like such a long way off to me, but then it's amazing to think I'm almost half-way there!

    I watched the first episode of Call the Midwife, but my DVR hasn't recorded anymore episodes. Have there been more on? From what I saw of the first episode, it was a little heavy. When I consider that it's the 50s in an impoverished area of England, I think they're trying to set the scene. I'll give it a few more tries before I make my final conclusions about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been three or four episodes of Call the Midwife so far. It airs on PBS on Sunday nights, but that's sort of inconvenient, so I watch on Mondays online. They do a good job portraying the poverty, and they're starting to bring in some romance (with the young midwives --not the nuns! ha)...but I'm not sure whether I'll stick with it or not.

      Delete