Pages

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Good Morning, Wednesday

Hattie has been so thoroughly grumpy the last two mornings, I've put her back to bed less than an hour after she got up. You would think after sleeping 12 hours, she really wouldn't need any extra shut-eye, but maybe she wakes up hungry and with that satiated, is ready to go back to dream-land. Whatever the reason, I'm glad it usually works and makes for a more cheerful baby....though admittedly, it does my the rest of our day a little wonky. But we're pretty flexible, and more often than not we're at home, so it's no biggie.

More than a month ago (when I was needing to decorate for fall), I blogged about hoping for pumpkin-shaped pumpkin pancakes. I finally got around to them this morning. Mostly, it was because I couldn't think of anything else to make for breakfast and I eyes happened upon our can of pumpkin on the shelf. I improvised the recipe, and the batter really never got thin enough to really call pancake consistency, but if you call them pumpkin cakes (like, you know, crab cakes or salmon cakes)...then were they perfect --as far as shape was concerned. Maple syrup was definitely called for and a little mountain of whipped cream on each a must.
Truth be told, I've been seeing those IHOP commercials of late, and the only thing appealing about the pancakes is the whipped cream. It almost looks like cream cheese whipped cream. Very delectable. But it probably is just regular old whipped cream from a can, and that is easily purchased (digylcerides and all, Anna G) at Kroger.
My conscience has been stirred lately about avoiding mono & di-glycerides. It's harder than you would think. Nearly all of the 'healthy' whole wheat bread (the short, expensive loaves) are laden with this stuff, which is essentially a highly processed oil used as an emulsifier. {Read more about it here}
Anyway, in the case of the whipped cream, I've had to just close my eyes to the label and try not to think about it because I am really enjoying it otherwise.

My next OB appt is tomorrow. Maybe we'll get to find out if Baby Sayre is a little boy or a little girl! I'm really looking forward to finding out the gender. Emery and I really feel like it's probably a boy, and I'm kind of anxious to see if we're right. We would be thrilled with either, of course, but I will say that little boy clothes aren't nearly as much fun to shop for as dresses and bows (that's the only downside I can think of, and it's a Very little one.)


1 comment:

  1. Your pumpkin pancakes sound yummy! Sometimes you just have to forget about nutrition and enjoy something for the sake of pleasure! As long as you don't make it a habit, I say it's OK! I hope your appt goes well tomorrow and I'll be jealous if you get to find out! ;)

    ReplyDelete