Pages

Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas Eve-ing

A refreshingly busy day at home. But it's not required busyness, that makes it happier.

There's a funny thing about gluten-free foods (desserts especially), they're really only enjoyable at the peak of freshness...which is to say the day you've baked them or maybe the day after. It's a small window of opportunity before whatever it is turns into dry crumbs or moldy icky-ness. So, while I've felt some pressure to get busy doing Christmas, I've just had to be patient and not do it until what seems like the last minute. But it really isn't the last minute because we're staying home and we're not doing any extra entertaining, and that means everything is right on time. :)
I'm planning on doing our big Christmas dinner this evening, and maybe tomorrow we can just loaf around in our pajamas and reheat leftovers (and reheat leftovers and reheat leftovers). Sounds like an easy plan as far as I'm concerned.

I was also thinking of starting a new tradition: alliterative Christmas dinners. Yes, it does sound nerdy. I don't care. This year we're having Pork (chops with cranberries), mashed Potatoes, Pecan pie....and perhaps I can think up some other P item to work in there. Maybe next year we could do C and have Cornish Hens, Cream Corn, Cabbage, and some sort of Casserole. I think it has potential to be a lot of fun. And it could be kind of adventuresome....we could do a goose one year and maybe a duck another. I've always wanted to try to cook a goose. When we lived in Vicksburg, the Walmart always kept one frozen goose out by the chicken cutlets. I was so tempted to buy it several times. This alliterative dinner would give me a could excuse to do so.

Last year, I tried to do the "12 days of Christmas" for Emery. Which is to say a different gift for every day and theoretically they should coordinate with the number of the day (a dozen cookies, or something like that). But I got too excited and gave him all the gifts the day I bought them. {I even had them wrapped and everything.} This year, however, our roles have reversed a little and he's been the one saying "I could give you one of your gifts right now." To which, I smile and reply that he's worse than me. I haven't been nearly as tempted this year to give him his gifts early. Of course, Emery and I are both the type the say we don't need anything for Christmas, and we agree that we shouldn't get each other gifts, and them we always do. I don't know why. That's just the way it is.

I hope you all have a Merry merry merry Christmas. Enjoy your loved ones. Savor the smiles and hugs. Be thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment