Pages

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Rain boots and sleep {or the lack thereof}

Today, I bought Hattie some rain boots.
They weren't on sale. It took me a little to get past that. Hattie's constant, "Boots, boots, boots" and my knowing that Emery wanted her to have some helped.
They're purple with googley eyes on the toes. And baby girl loves them. Or she will love them once she has had a proper nap and can fully appreciate the wonder of rain boots.

She doesn't know yet that rain boots mean it's okay to splash in puddles. Heck, she doesn't even know yet that boots are suitable for the wet (her current suede ones certainly aren't). But she'll learn these things in time, and I'm thrilled at the prospect of her excitement over each new discovery.

Since this past weekend, Hattie has regressed in her sleep training about six months. I don't really like calling it 'sleep training'. In our home, it's been more of transition to sleeping independently. It's been gradual and multi-phased, but for some reason we're all of the sudden in the same place we were at in June. And that's frustrating, because I know she can sleep well on her own. I know she can lay down in her bed and say 'night-night' and go to sleep. Here we are though, working through the same processes again, only faster - much faster! I'm really hoping she'll be back in tip-top sleeping shape by the end of the week, we'll see how it goes.
I caught myself thinking yesterday that I wished the Bible had specific instructions for getting your toddler to sleep. Wouldn't that be lovely? Alas. But it does tell us to 'do justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with thy God'.....that gets me. That tells me it isn't okay to be short-tempered with Hattie when I haven't slept in several hours, when I could totally justify being a grump. It tells me to be patient. To love her. And to pray for wisdom.
Wisdom is such an invaluable gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment