Pages

Friday, April 5, 2013

A baby

 Our sweet daughter was born last week. She has captivated our hearts.

7lbs 12oz. 20 1/4'' long

Adele Elizabeth.

Adele's was our first hospital birth experience. It seemed so surreal packing up and driving to the hospital in the middle of the night. None of the hospital people seemed to mind that I had to get through the contractions before I could resume answering their questions and whatnot. I appreciated that. 
We were admitted an hour and a half before Adele made her appearance. The Dr. didn't make it in time. She was born on the birthing ball (which wasn't what I'd intended....but once I started pushing she was out in 8 minutes, so I didn't have much time to think about positioning).

It was such a fast labor. So fast and so intense. 

Honestly, I didn't even realize Adele's head was out until I heard her cry. That seems absurd, but it's true.

Our nurse didn't realize at all how quickly things were progressing. All of the sudden, she's yelling for "Everyone to get in here, NOW!" But by the time a dozen or so folks came rushing in, there wasn't anything for them to do. Adele and I were settled in the bed getting to know each other. The Dr. did show up shortly after. He didn't seem to be offended at all that I'd delivered the baby without him, and I appreciated that too.

I'm so thankful to have our sweet girl here and healthy. So thankful to finally get to know the baby that's been wiggling around inside of me for many months past. I'm thankful for my family. My family of four. 

Hattie is a precious big sister. She hasn't quite grasped how to be gentle enough with Adele, but she is trying. She enjoys shaking her hand and giving her kisses and poking her face.

We've enjoyed having Emery's mother in town for the last three weeks. It's been a blessing to have an extra set of hands, especially since Adele's arrival. {It's also meant that we've had a guest in our office space...and one doesn't feel too much liberty to spend time blogging while in someone else's room.}

I'm off to kiss my baby's fat cheeks. Breathe in her baby smell. And tickle her double chin.

2 comments:

  1. congrats!!! she is so cute! your birthing story is amazing -- super jealous, but i'm glad that everyone is doing healthy and well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adorable baby!! Love your story! Congratulations! Love, Susan W.

    ReplyDelete