Pages

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mothering

I love being a mother. I love loving mothers on this special day.

But sometimes Mother's Day makes me feel a little sorry for myself because as my brother put it on facebook "my experiences with my actual mother were far from satisfying." He said it well, and he said it respectfully. Our mother wasn't involved in our lives, and still isn't. 
As a child, I craved normalcy in my family. I didn't want step-family and theoretical weekend visitations and emotionally volatile phone calls. I wanted my mother to be a mother, and yet, being around her was so exhausting that I didn't mind her absence.
The thought of posting a picture of my mother on this mother's day is almost laughable. And that makes me sad. 

But God sets the solitary in families. And He has blessed me with wonderful, strong women who, in the spirit of Titus 2, have taught me about loving my children and husband and keeping my home. Where one mother fell short, God has given me a handful of mothers in her stead. How amazing. I have many mothers, and I cannot feel sorry for myself when I think of that blessing.



1 comment:

  1. I really didn't know any of this.... Bless you! And I'm so glad the Lord has given you some peace about this and has helped you see the alternative blessings you have. That is sometimes tough to see and to embrace. You are going to be an AWEsome mama!!!

    ReplyDelete