Pages

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Backfire.

I have grand dreams of establishing fun family traditions that will endure the test of childhood, especially at Christmas time.
Last weekend, I threw caution to the wind and decided we would make Christmas cookies with sprinkles and icing and everything. We had to go buy some cookie cutters and sprinkles first, and I didn't even check the label. I didn't want to. I didn't want my health-nut mentality to interfere with the prospect of fun family time.
And we did have fun. After much looking, I found a gluten and dairy free recipe that would withstand being rolled out and cut and it was really quite delightful. Emery enjoyed more than I expected, too.
The problem came after we ate several and the artificial coloring made my child act like she'd lost her mind. Tears and Tantrums. I should have known better. I should have read the label and let my conscience get the better of me.

And then I did it again today. I dreamed up a fun picnic at the park with some Chick-fil-a. Sounds nice, doesn't it? Except that I KNOW that the grilled nuggets in the kid's meal have MSG - which Emery is allergic to, though I wasn't certain about Hattie….but I got them anyway. And what happened when we had to leave the park (which was way too cold in the wind) - Tears and Tantrum. Ugh.

Somebody please remind me to plan fun outings that don't stray from our normal diet. It's such a let down to be excited for their enjoyment and then to have to pick up the pieces after total meltdown. Oye.






No comments:

Post a Comment