Pages

Monday, January 27, 2014

Motherhood in the Trenches.

This post is largely about vomit. The weak stomached need not read on.




The scene at our house for two nights running. 4:30am…cough, blech.
-"Hattie, spit in into the trashcan!"
"No! There's trash in there. Bleh (on the bed). Bleh (on the carpet)"
-"Aim for the trashcan!"
"Get it away from me! (Bleh, bleh. bleh.)"

Wipe up as much vomit as we can. Yucky blankets to the laundry. Cover up the wet spot on the sheets; wonder why we only have one set of sheets for Hattie's bed. Fresh pajamas. Carpet Resolve on the floor. Scrub, scrub, scrub.

Settle the child. Wash hands. Crawl back in bed. Repeat at 5:30.


Adrenaline junkie? Try this scenario. It really gets my heart pumping….and for better or for worse, I haven't been able to get back to sleep before the 5:30 round, so at least that's one thing.  I think the adrenaline is that part that keeps a mama's gag reflex from operating full force; I think it's the part the helps you get down to the business of cleaning things up without thinking about being totally grossed out.

 This is the very first we've dealt with throw-up in Hattie's 2.5+ years, and I do count that a tremendous blessing. And no one else threw-up at either the sound or residual smell associated, and that too is a great blessing. And what's more, she hasn't thrown up since this morning. Maybe she's got the yuckies out of her little system……Nevermind, the yuckies are NOT out of her little system (sigh), but it wasn't throw up, and that is somewhat easier to deal with.

I think the hardest part so far has been lunch today. Adele and I had to eat, and poor Hattie was relegated to a squeeze pouch of applesauce.
"Mama, I'm better now, can I have some pizza too?"
-"No dear, this is the same pizza you threw up last night. Maybe tonight you can have some rice if that applesauce sits well."
"Okay, I'm ready for some rice."
-"Not yet, dear, you have to give your belly time to get better."……..and on and on. She doesn't seem to feel that badly, which is very confusing as to why she can't eat normally.

I feel like I'm earning a motherhood merit badge right now. It would probably say "Survived 1st Stomach Flu", and I'll feel a little taller and wiser having earned it.





No comments:

Post a Comment