Tuesday, June 24, 2014

wedding thoughts.

A good friend of mine is getting married. Soon.
There are so many things I want to talk about with her; Things I want to tell her about how much fun it is to be married to your best friend. But it feels like there isn't time. She's planning a wedding after all, and is, I'm sure, busier than a one-armed wallpaper hanger, and I, of course, have my two littles always near my feet - and it's hard to talk much with those blessed little distractions.

We went shopping for her wedding gift today. I'm afraid I'm the type of person who looks at a registry and then promptly disregards it. That's mostly because I like to do wedding shopping at places similar to TJMaxx or HomeGoods, and you never know what you'll find there.
I do try to note color themes from a registry and buy things that won't clash (too badly). Sometimes it's challenging to find things that fit what I think a person would like rather than just what I would like -- though I Never buy a gift that I wouldn't like to receive…but especially when you haven't spent much time around the bride and groom and aren't really sure what their cumulative tastes might be. But that, "I hope they like this!" feeling is a little edgy and exciting, and since you'll probably never know if they don't like it - all the better.

But marriage. Only God could have designed it so.
Women need love. Men need respect. That's clear as day in the bible, and it's so completely true.

And those newlywed days are so sweet. You're so delighted just to be together.
But you have no idea why on earth he would do something in that particular way, and he has no idea why you would be crying over that. He probably has no idea how he hurt your feelings, and it's all so new that it's hard to deal with the situation. And it's shocking that he doesn't do things the way your daddy and brothers do (which seems like absolutely the best way, of course), and, of course, he has very specific reasons why he does things the way that he does - even though it's different from what you're used to.
It's like the old toilet paper roll backwards or forwards debate. Do you twist or roll the toothpaste tube? Does it make any significant difference? Not a bit, but you're learning more about each other everyday.

You get to be your spouse's best friend. It takes work and time, but it's more precious than can be expressed.
Make your days special. Make memories. Dance in the rain. Arrange your little home. Smile. Laugh.
Have picnics. Make coffee with whipped cream on top. Snuggle. Work together. Smile some more. Smile so much your face hurts.
It's such fun. Relish each moment.



1 comment:

  1. I enjoy the thoughts of young couples getting married and the excitement around that special time. It causes me to think back to my own wedding day and what a joyful time it was. I love the simplicity, yet power, in the basics of marriage. It is often hard for me to remember that my husband needs respect above all else. After all, by showing him respect, I am showing him love.

    ReplyDelete