Pages

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Sycamore Bakes: "Baked Oatmeal"

I was admonished yesterday that I ought to start an easy gluten free blog….this is due to the fact that I promptly skip over any and all GF recipes that start with 5+ flours. I can't handle that. I CAN handle using my standard rice flour, potato starch, and tapioca blend, even if it's not the very healthiest of healthy blends. True story: I don't care. I get decent results, and I don't have to spend a fortune, and it doesn't make my family feel ill (read- it's not wheat, and that's good enough for me).
But, I also don't feel like I can manage to keep up decently with another blog. Hello, I can't keep up decently with this one. Thus, "Sycamore Bakes" a new (and exciting!) recipe series. Brought to you without pictures because I'm not a food blogger, and don't have time for photography, BUT the recipes are coming straight from my tried and true family recipes binder. I have largely gathered them from all over the internet, and promptly changed 'em, of course. I don't have the original sources and here's my official shout out to YOU, if any of the recipes in this series are actually yours. Thanks.
So there.

With out further Ado.


Baked Oatmeal
This is a hearty winter morning yummy. Easy to make ahead and reheat for a few days until you can eat it all. Makes a 13x9 Full.

6 cups old fashioned oats
2 cups warm water
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 cup melted coconut oil or butter

8 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup molasses, not blackstrap
2tsp vanilla
2tsp baking soda
1tbsp cinnamon
1tsp sea salt

1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup raisins

The original recipes says you ought to soak the first four ingredient at least 24hrs (to make 'em more digestible). I prefer the texture if the oats are only soaking as long as it takes to get the other ingredients together. Do what floats your boat. If you do let it soak overnight, don't put it in the fridge. Live active cultures are the point.

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease 13x9. Combine eggs, molasses, vanilla, baking soda, cinnamon, & salt in a medium bowl. Then stir that into the oats mixture with a wooden spoon (if you've soaked them, metal can kill some of your organisms). Mix well. Add in raisins and walnuts, if desired. I've actually never desired both, but the raisins are yummy, and I often don't add either. Cranberries would be extra nice. Pour into your prepared dish and bake 30-35 minutes.

Serve with butter, maple syrup, and/ or cinnamon. We like it with whipped cream too, if you're feeling extravagant.


Happy Tuesday. Happy Baking. I'm making this pronto. (And if you're wondering, I don't have any molasses and I'm going to use maple syrup in its place, and we don't do buttermilk anymore, I might sub a little coconut milk for moisture. I might not even have old fashioned oats, it's not breaking any laws to use rolled - I hope!)


2 comments:

  1. I'm excited for this series! I will be making this recipe soon. So, I leave it out overnight to soak with the buttermilk (or coconut milk) already mixed in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. That's the way (or whey as it may be!).

      Delete