Pages

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

A month Here. and Sycamore Bakes: Molasses Cookies

It's a monthiversary for us…one whole month of living in Georgia. The very first month of living in Georgia for Emery, Hattie, and Adele, and a whole month on top of the years spent growing up here for me. In high school, I was itchy to travel and maybe be a missionary. I was swept away with the romance of foreign places and mostly of not living in the suburbs. As I matured, I still kept the funny notion of looking down my nose at folks who stayed here, and I was glad I wasn't. But as most things come full-circle, here we are, and I AM GLAD. Besides I've got a mission field in my home, and a captive audience to preach to, and there IS romance in motherhood - if you get your perspective on the right way.
Besides those things, our little basement home here comes with the opportunity for this first-trimester tired mama to nap when Adele does (because Hattie goes to sew and keep our auntie company). And I only have two rooms and a bathroom to try to keep neat. And I'm getting pretty good at backing up the kind of steep driveway and not hitting the trees on either side…ahem, let's say rather that I haven't hit the trees yet. 

So, I'm glad to be here - even if I do sound PollyAnna-ish, I'm glad for that too, because how much better to count one's blessings and be glad for them to than to mope over your lot in life!

Want to know something else that makes me glad? Molasses cookies. I know, everyone is all about pumpkin spice everything these days, but when fall finally does turn that corner and the leaves are spiraling around you in the crisp air, that's when molasses cookies sound the most appealing. Maybe with some hot apple cider and a wood fire crackling, can't beat it!

Molasses Cookies
Gluten free, dairy free, egg free, refined sugar free….Guilt FREE!

2 3/4 cup GF flour blend*
1tsp baking soda
1tsp cinnamon
1/4tsp cloves
1/4tsp ginger
1/4tsp nutmeg
1/4tsp seal salt

1/2cup coconut oil
1/2cup mashed banana (one large)
3/4cup molasses
3tbsp coconut milk - or milk of your choice
2tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350F. Mix the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well. Place on greased baking sheet, and bake for 9 minutes.

--I really can't remember if these were "drop"style cookies or roll 'em into a ball and mash a little on the pan. Just go with the consistency of the batter for whichever is easiest. Also, make sure your banana is well mashed or pureed. You don't want banana chunks when you're eating the cookies.


*Gluten Free Flour Blend:
               2cups brown rice flour
               2/3 cup potato starch
               1/3 cup tapioca starch
               1tsp xanthan gum, unless otherwise noted in recipe.

This is the blend I always use. You're welcome to try your own favorite blend in place of this one, probably it would work just as well. I stick with this one because I don't have the time or mental energy to complicate my baking by using a blend that takes sooo many types of flours: almond flour, coconut flour, bean flours, amaranth, quinoa, etc etc etc. I've got to keep it simple!


No comments:

Post a Comment