Pages

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Sycamore Bakes: Emery's Favorite Apple Pie

There have been a few times in our marriage - maybe half a dozen or less - when I've made something and Emery has looked at me and said, "This is the best (fill in the blank) that I've ever eaten." And that statement makes me want to jump up and down and smile so hard my face might burst. It's not that he isn't easy to please, but to get such an accolade, it's tremendous.

My poor brain can't remember whether or not he said that about this pie, but I do know that at the top of the recipe, it says, "Emery's New Favorite Pie". That's a glad heading.

Apple Pie
Apple pie is such a cozy, comforting food. Rich with nostalgia. And delightful as can be.

Filling: 6 medium Granny Smith apples; peeled, cored, and sliced
            1/2 cup sugar (coconut sugar is my preference)
            2tbsp GF flour blend
            1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
            1/4 tsp nutmeg
            1tsp lemon zest      ->I used lime juice in place of the lemon zest and juice - worked fine
            1tbsp lemon juice
            1/4tsp salt

Crumble: 1 cup GF flour blend
                1/3 cup oats
                2/3 cup coconut sugar
                2tsp cinnamon
                1/4tsp nutmeg
                1/2cup solid coconut oil

Preheat oven to 400F.
Mix filling ingredients and set aside. (I think it's important to let those apples "juice" while you're getting everything else together, so don't be in too much of a hurry.)
Mix crumble ingredients. Make sure the coconut oil gets chopped up into fine pieces and is thoroughly incorporated.
Pour apples into deep-dish pie plate. Spread crumble topping over apples evenly.
Bake 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and set a piece of foil over the top of the pie to prevent burning. Bake 30 more minutes.

(I needed to bake ours closer to 45 more minutes. Depends on the heat of your oven, ours ran hot, usually.)

No comments:

Post a Comment