Pages

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Instant Coffee

I keep instant coffee in my pantry. Perhaps it's adding insult to injury to tell you it's decaf, too. But as I'm the only {occasional} coffee drinker in our home, sometimes it's too much to get the coffee pot out and sometimes the full caffeine of regular beans makes me all kind of jittery and sweaty and keeps me from sleeping at night -- even when the cup of joe was had at 8am. It's not always worth it.

But the real reason for the instant coffee is nostalgia.

My Granny and Grandaddy are the only people I have ever known who would drink instant coffee quite happily and regularly. The aroma shouts breakfasts at their house - perhaps accompanied with poptarts or doughnuts (we always felt like we were eating well at their house, always the best snacks like sugar wafers and little cups of Blue Bell ice cream). Instant coffee to go along with rounds of Skip-Bo or less often Rummikub or Trianamos, and perhaps a bite size 3 Musketeer midway through the game.
Grandaddy always said Granny would beat him again. He liked to tease from the underdog position, and then would all of the sudden win the game while you weren't looking. Not always, of course, for Skip-bo was one of those games that didn't require any skill and it was just a matter of how the cards fell out. We all stood just as good a chance at winning as the most experienced players, and play we did.

Jolly games around their kitchen table make up a large part of my memories at my grandparent's home. And instant coffee is how it smells.

{I might add that they have recently gotten a Keurig, and are not drinking instant anymore. I don't know what to do with this information, and am choosing to ignore it for all intents and purposes. }


1 comment:

  1. Elisabeth (Rogers) LaByerFebruary 24, 2016 at 6:10 PM

    Thanks for sharing this memory of your grandparents, Elizabeth! I enjoyed reading it. And I know exactly what you mean about nostalgia, because there are certain smells that take me right back to my grandparents' house, too.

    ReplyDelete