Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

{Sycamore Bakes} Honey Oat Bread and a fresh smoothie

The last few weeks (months, maybe), I've had a craving for some hearty brown bread. The girls and I read Heidi in early January, and since then some nice whole-grain, dark bread has been on my mind. I really haven't felt like even attempting to make bread for several weeks {baby-induced exhaustion!}, but yesterday we found a recipe that seemed to fit the bill and piled into the kitchen. I say, "piled" because the effort took place with a baby on my hip and children on chairs trying to each get plenty of opportunity to add ingredients and stir. All the while the constant phrase, "what am I supposed to do next" running through my foggy mind.
It wasn't pretty, but we did it. I couldn't even find my loaf pan - almost laughable, I tell you.

Our recipe for Gluten Free Honey Oat Bread came from Yammie's Gluten Freedom. I so appreciate the people out there who develop great recipes, because I haven't got time for all that!

Gluten-free Honey Oat Bread 

3 1/3 cups oat flour (or 4 cups of gluten-free oats plus more for the top)
2 scant tablespoons yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons honey
1/2 cup corn starch (or tapioca flour)
1/2 cup rice flour (white or sweet white rice flour. Brown rice would probably work to but I haven't tried that yet)
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
4 eggs

If you're using whole oats, blend them in the food processor until they're pretty fine (as fine as you can get them). Meanwhile combine the yeast and water and let sit for a few minutes. Add the oil, honey, starch, flour, xanthan gum, and oats and beat until combined. Add the salt, cinnamon, and eggs. Beat for a few minutes until fluffy. Pour into a well greased 10 inch loaf pan and allow to rise for about 45 minutes until doubled. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350ºF. Sprinkle the top of the risen loaf with some more oats and cut a few slits in the top with a serrated knife. Bake for about 45 minutes. Allow to cool before cutting.
I love using oat flour because, hello- economical! I also used brown rice flour and was short of honey so I used molasses for the majority of the sweetener.

Ours turned out great. Hearty and wholesome tasting, although perhaps a smidge too sweet. Next time I might add a little more salt to the dough.


I've also had an idea for a smoothie growing in my mind lately. I haven't been on a smoothie kick, and so didn't have too many ingredients to choose from...but gathering what was on hand, it turned out very nice with a bit of a zing! :)
We put a few handfuls of spinach in the blender along with a little hunk of fresh, peeled ginger, and some cilantro leaves - along with a little lemon juice and some coconut milk to blend thoroughly. Then we dumped some frozen blueberries and maple syrup. Blend till smooth.

I get weary of the fruit & veg smoothies, and I really like the heightened flavor with ginger and cilantro.
I especially like getting spinach into Adele who isn't inclined to eat it, ever.


On a side note, dear Emery hung curtains in our room this weekend, and they look so nice. It feels like we have a cozy, luxurious room now. Love it! Thanks to Susanna for alerting me to the sale at Target on curtain panels! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment