Pages

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Looking forward to celebrating recovery....

Y'all.
I haven't had a full night's sleep since...I can't remember when...probably since my 2nd trimester with Elijah, over a year ago.
The bags under my eyes are pretty much triple-deckers. You know it's bad when your blush and your eye concealer are applied in the same place.

But I was inspired by a facebook post the other day, in which the mama of a little boy very close to Elijah's age, had moved the baby into his own room, and while it took a week - he finally slept through the night!
Those kind of posts almost make me cry because I UNDERSTAND the TRIUMPH.
...Because you really do feel like you're coming out of hibernation when you start sleeping like a regular person again.

And you know what? I'm ready!
I'm ready to be productive and energetic instead of just getting by. So yesterday began Elijah's sleep training.
I'm not a die-hard 'cry it out' parent. At all.
I like to ease into things, small changes and adjustments. For us this looks like starting with naps; yes, I'll nurse him to sleep and hold him till he's pretty relaxed, and then put him in his crib. Sometimes, he wants to raise a temper, but usually he's tired enough to voice a protest and then drift to sleep. {I just can't deal with putting him in his bed to cry until he's asleep, it's too much for me.}
Nights are another adjustment. Number one on the list is not letting him nurse as often, and thus getting used to sleeping longer stretches. I think even from our small changes during the day, he slept better during the night than he has in a while.
Baby steps. We will get this!

8 comments:

  1. We're in this together! We're starting sleep training tonight (Phase 2 for Eand Phase 1 for S). You pray for me, I'll pray for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm at the same place with Deborah. She slept 10 hours one night last week before getting sick for the umpteenth time in the past two months. Her naps used to be great, and now they've gone to pieces, too. I'm tired of the perpetual brain fog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard when it's back and forth!! And sickness makes everything wonky. Praying for you!

      Delete
  3. You. Are. Not. Alone. Jed is 3. 3 Liz, 3! And STILL wakes up! I've woke up at 2am for ssoooo long, now that he's sleeping a bit longer I STILL wake up at 2! UGH!! :-) So, we did what that lady did. And, it didn't work. He would sleep from 8-12, wake-up for 30 min or so, we sit with him, he would drift off and Up at 2am. So check this, 2 weeks ago, our whole family came into town, we moved Jeds bed into our room so we could use his room for our guests. He slept through the night! 3 years I waited for this and all I had to do was put his bed in our room?! Well, ok, I don't know if that would of worked exactly, but, I got a whole nights sleep!! Family has come and gone....Jed's room looks normal again, but Jason and I agreed, we are ok with his bed being in our room for now, we've been enjoying sleeping all night for 2 weeks. (well, except for me waking up at 2am, but I will learn) :-) Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, I'm so glad he's sleeping! And surely you'll adjust too soon! Praying he'll continue to be in the habit of sleeping all night!!

      Delete
  4. Yay you!! I hate sleep training, but I'm so proud of you for doing the hard stuff so that you can get the sleep you need to be able to be healthy. You're doing it for all your kids AND you AND Emery - that's your why!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leah!! You know, high on the list of "whys" is because I've got to buckle down with potty training with Adele, and I can't take her potty first thing with Elijah still sleeping in my bed...motherhood is such a juggling act. lol.

      Delete