Pages

Thursday, October 20, 2016

Of: Mommy Wars, Book Review, Revised GF baking

We've all heard the term "Mommy Wars"...you know the drill are you a breastfeed-er or formula feed-er? working mom or stay-at-home mom? vaccinations or non-vaccinations? homeschool or public school or private school?

It goes on and on and on.

We make choices for our families; choices that we believe are best for us and our kids, but somehow these private decisions get thrown into the public arena and available for criticism. This is baffling. And more so because sometimes we left our decisions define us. I understand that it's easier sometimes to label our parenting styles and use those to find like-minded friends, but what should it matter to a friendship if you make your own toothpaste and another mama doesn't? I mean, really.


So enter my newest read, Nourishing Meals. This is a well-written cook book with the best of intentions of educating families of how to eat more home-cooked, nourishing meals. That sounds great, doesn't it? The trouble is that as I was reading these healthy recipes, I felt this pressure mounting...pressure to do more, be more, do better - especially in the area of feeding my family {which isn't to say that we eat out all the time or are necessarily unhealthy, but we aren't doing all that they recommend - which I'll tell you about in a bit}. You know what? Sometimes the best I can manage is frozen chicken nuggets, especially in seasons where other areas of life are chaotic and I don't have the time or mental energy to plan from-scratch meals.

Can we all just agree to do our best, the best we can manage to take care of our families? Let's don't have mommy wars about anything, especially not about whether our oats are soaked. Please and thank you.

So this book advocates for food based on organic real-food choices; bone broth cooked for days, almost all grains soaked and/or sprouted; fermented vegetables and beverages, and all gluten free. It's very similar to Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions in approach, except I haven't seen any reference to Weston A. Price and the authors are quite as aggressive as Sally Fallon {who is constantly challenging the "Politically Correct Diet Dictocrats"}. They also don't harp on eating as much organ meat - for which I am truly thankful.

The other aspect of this cook book is that in order to follow these recipes, I would have to invest in a variety of new ingredients. I've spent the last five years baking gluten free using brown rice flour, potato starch, and tapioca starch with xanthan gum, but the authors recommend avoiding refined starches (potato starch) and xanthan gum; they prefer raw buckwheat (which is gluten free, though it doesn't sound like it), teff, arrowroot starch, and several others. It just so happens that I'm out of several of my usual baking items, but I'm not sure our budget can handle gathering them all in at once. I'm also not sure that I would like these new tastes. I certainly have never tried teff or buckwheat. But I'm open to change and am considering buying the ingredients needed to try some of the recipes offered.
It's hard to change what you've been doing for years. I understand the ratios I'm using with my current flours, I understand how they behave. I've made a few small changes - using almond flour and coconut flour now and then, but to abandon my old ways altogether, well I'll really have to be brave and step out of my comfort zone.
And I know that's a good thing, however hard.





I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.












2 comments:

  1. I've been researching Celiac today and what I would have to do to my kitchen if that's David's diagnoses. I'm very interested in the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's available on amazon now. I hope David doesn't have Celiac, but if these changes give him relief, then I'm all in favor.

    ReplyDelete