Pages

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Inaugural thoughts

With a new home come many inaugural moments. Moments that make you feel like celebrating, from the "Yay we have the Keys!" to the "our first guests."

I love these micro-milestones. The chaos that is moving is fraught with challenges, partly because some of the moments around a move are "This will probably the last time we'll have these people over for dinner" and "Packing up beloved items" and "Where on earth do I begin today"....but there are also the "We hung our pictures on the walls today" and "Our first meal actually cooked in our new home."
{Of course those are in no particular order -- yes, I did cook before hanging pictures on the walls}

In the last week we've been delighted to host our first lunch guests and overnight guests. Company is an excellent motivator for getting your house settled and presentable! :) I so enjoy getting to host friends and family in our home, and it's refreshing to have that shift from "Where do I want to put this item or hang this picture?" to "How can I make my guests more comfortable?" Less of ME is always a good thing, I'm thankful for opportunities that remind me to refocus on being others-centered.
-------------
Life is made more of than of big events. Sure, it's easier to date things in your memory by whether it was after {a move, a wedding, a holiday etc), but our regular everydays --that's where it's most beautiful.
It's where we live out our love for our families and friends, not just on special occasions when everything is picture perfect. Lord knows, life isn't picture perfect. It's being present when things are messy and frazzled and just plain struggling.
Back last winter, I had a cookie decorating party planned. Life happened that week - I learned about the loss of my baby and was waiting to miscarry. I thought about cancelling. Everyone would have understood. I knew I couldn't pull off organizing an 'event' - but I could manage a pajama play-date. I texted the downgraded status around. Someone brought doughnuts. I just made coffee and room to be with people instead of letting my grief take center stage that day. It was beautiful. Full of laughter and kids playing, and what I needed.
Messy and beautiful.
-----------
So I'll raise my glass of chocolate milk (I'm pregnant, yo!) to embracing the beauty of the moments rather than the events. The acts of kindness and love, no matter how small, are too precious to get swept away in the blur of life. Jot them down. Take a picture. File it in your memory. These are the memories that make a childhood golden, let's bedazzle adulthood too with beauty to the brim. 




No comments:

Post a Comment